Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Heart On Sleeve Jewelry

Let me try to put into words how impressed I am by Heart On Sleeve Jewelry.

Mark is innovative, creative, and pushing the limits on large gauge jewelry to extents that I haven't seen before.

I guess I'm trying to say... in the least creepiest way possible since I don't personally know him... I FUCKING LOVE EVERYTHING THIS MOTHERFUCKER DOES.

I'm in talks with Mark about a custom order for a pair of his signature wood captive bead rings that I posted about a few days ago. 1/2g 3.5 inch diameter hoop in bloodwood with an either holly or ivorywood bead. So excited!

But look at this other crazy shit Mark does!!!

From his blog: "40 mm strawberry quartz into a 52 mm pink ivory plug with a ring of bloodwood"

 Unbelievable. The light coming through these is INTENSE.


I am completely breath taken by these babies. The shape is made with pink ivory, and inlaid with ebony, silver, and ammonites. I have NEVER seen ammonites used like this before. Usually you see wood inlaid with these fossils or maybe wood inlaid with silver and then an ammonite. Some would say that it showcases the beauty of the spiral shape, but honestly? Every organic jewelry maker on earth does ammonite plugs the same exact way. Well... maybe not Reign... but you get what I'm trying to say.

This is exactly what I'm talking about when I say that organic companies don't push the envelope enough. Besides Heart On Sleeve, Reign, OneTribe's custom work, Diablo (but really just his carved mammoth stuff), and a handful of others I find while scouring the internet, I usually find myself frustrated and bored with most of the organics I see today. How many concave df plugs in 5 million and 1 woods can I look at? How many kind of the same shaped cabochons? Of course there's something to say about the skill it takes to work with the grain and how to inlay different materials but from a consumer's point of view... it's hard to be enthusiastic about jewelry when you see the same shit all the time.

So a big thanks goes out to Mark at Heart On Sleeve and other independent organic jewelry makers who are trying to do things a little differently.

Pics stolen from Heart On Sleeve

No comments:

Post a Comment